Wednesday, December 10, 2014

One of my Favorite Things in the World

So one day I turned on the TV and I watched a movie that changed my life..........Julie & Julia.

I've always liked to cook. I may have already posted about this before, but I'll do it again because it's been long enough that at least I forget about it, so you probably have too.

My mom was always a good cook and I learned a lot from my Grandmother as well.  When everyone else was out cutting my grandparent's grass, I was inside helping her with dinner.  She taught me a lot and being in the kitchen with her are some of my fondest memories.  We've had large family dinners my whole life and having 5 - 8 people in the kitchen is the norm for me and honestly what I prefer.  It brings everyone together and your making something delicious. 

Anyway, back to Julia.  After I saw this movie for the first time I became obsessed with Julia Child and her cooking. For Christmas that year my mother bought me the BEST GIFT (seen below). 


I don't cook from this often, but I have definitely whipped it out several times and it is never a disappointment.  Beef Bourginon is my favorite dish to cook. (i'm sure I misspelled it).  It takes me all day, but we LOVE it.  

Yesterday I decided on just a roasted chicken.

Mind you the book says you won't even make this perfect unless you're obsessed with making it perfect......i tried.

 

I was surprised by two things, 1 - I didn't cover it, and 2 - you cook it on it's side. (both sides after flipping it halfway through)


You have to baste it every 8 minutes.  8 MINUTES! I may have been off a few times, but in the end it was SO JUICY!





I think it looked amazing when I was finished and personally I think it tasted great as well.  Hubby gave it a 6 out of 10.  I'll take his review with a grain of salt, because I don't think I can make a better whole chicken than that.  Personally he just isn't a fan of whole chickens so I think he was biased.


Emma ate it, so it's a win for me!

Until next time.


No comments:

25 Weeks

How far along? 25 Weeks and 2 days Total weight gain: 16 lbs at my last appt about a week ago. With matthew I had gained 23 lbs at this poin...